Saturday, February 25, 2012

iPhone message and phone contacts names switching to numbers

I've had an iPhone for a little while and today while I was on a trip, my phone decided to stop working perfectly. After I woke my phone up from being off in airplane mode, all of the contact names in my messages app disappeared and were replaced with just the phone numbers of the contacts. This wouldn't be a big deal except that I don't have everyone's number memorized and associated with the person in my mind. The same problem existed in the call history, while my favorites list still showed the names. After some searching, I found a solution from Marwan1981 on the apple discussion forums. I've copied the steps here so you don't have to look it up yourself (This is probably a Verizon only solution):


From your VZW iPhone:
  1. Open the Phone and dial *228. This is a Verizon over-the-air programming number.
  2. When the system answers press 1 for "Program or activate your phone"
  3. You should get a prompt stating something like "Settings updated." Wait for the call to disconnect.
  4. Open the Task Manager and kill the Phone, Message, and Contacts Applications
  5. Wait a few minutes.
  6. Open the Message App to verify the fix.
I hope this helps out someone else like it's helped me.

No comments: