Thursday, March 10, 2011

Monosodium Glutamate

So I've been thinking lately about how much I like food with MSG. Actually, that's not exactly true. More truthfully it has been brought to my attention recently that some food I tend to eat regularly happens to have MSG in its ingredients. Now I, as most people who have seen homstarrunner.com, thought that MSG had negative effects on stomach lining for at least hand drawn cartoon girls on lined filler paper. However, according to a Mayo Clinic page about MSG, it turns out that MSG is generally considered safe for humans to eat. The FDA even considers it a food product. I for one am glad that the makers or Doritos have had the presence of mind to include MSG in their products to increase the savoriness.

2 comments:

seanmcox said...

MSG gets a bad rep from people who have nothing else to blame for their headaches and stomach problems. It's a popular whipping boy, but there's no real solid evidence to support the general perception that it is bad for us.

Tomatoes are a natural source of MSG. I will often offer tomatoes to people by saying "would you like some MSG?"

Josef said...

I didn't realize that about Tomatoes. Now I want to go out and get even more pizza (I only had pizza twice in the last week).